8.24.2010

on evolution...




[T]he human species is by no means the pinnacle of evolution. Evolution has no pinnacle and there is no such thing as evolutionary progress. Natural selection is simply the process by which life-forms change to suit the myriad opportunities afforded by the physical environment and by other life-forms.
-Matt Ridley, author of Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters
      I won't claim to have a true interest/background in the whole creation vs. evolution debate, but I will admit it gets my wheels turning sometimes. A project in my senior Biology II class in high school was a learning experience aimed at examining the various points of both sides of the debate. Since my presentation portion was focused on DNA as God's universal code for life and much of the evidence I found was in support of the Intelligent Design Theory, I did not further my research into the spiritual aspects of the debate.


      A recent conversation with my parents sparked my interest again, and then a few days ago, I ran across this quote [see above]. I am by no means a scholar on the matter, but I believe there is something to be said for the relationship of the spiritual side of the debate to bring evidence against evolution.


       I believe that humanity's purpose on earth is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. I also believe that I was created in the image of God, separate and distinguished from other animals. I do admit the similarities in certain aspects of development and composition of other life forms, which coincide with some human characteristics, but I believe this was a specific design by God to show the order of the universe and His control over it. I am not saying that natural selection or micro-evolution does not exist, at least in some form, I am just saying that, when you get down to the basics of Evolutionary Theory, there is no goal other than survival. There is no "stopping point" in evolution, so to speak. There is no room for "purpose" or, perhaps more importantly, for a relationship with God.


        I don't have much more to say while on this soap-box. My knowledge sort of dries up here. The quote just caught my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment